You’re Probably Dehydrated
Water is essential to living a healthy life. We need water to survive and thrive in our world. As the summer heat turns up the temperature a few notches, we need to look stringently at our water intake.
Did you know that our body is primarily made up of water? It is said that approximately 60% of our body weight is actually water. Almost every system of our bodies depend on our water intake. Water helps to flush our body from toxins. As you can see water is pretty important!
How much water should I drink each day?
That is a simple question but it can be hard to answer. While the answer will differ from person to person, experts indicate that a common rule of thumb is taking your weight in pounds and dividing that number in half. That halved number is the number of ounces of water you should drink each day.
For example: A 200 pound man. 200 / 2 = 100 that is 100 oz of water daily
However, if you are doing strenuous activities such as hiking, running, etc you will need to increase your water intake.
Can I consume too much water?
Yes, it is possible but rare. As with anything that you put into your body, you need to be aware during the process. While too little of water can be toxic, so can too much water.
Possible signs you aren’t consuming enough water:
• Your urine is dark or less frequent urination.
• Your skin and/or eyes are very dry.
• You are overly thirsty.
• You lack stamina and energy.
• Inadequate water intake can affect blood pressure (low/high)
• Frequent headaches
The list goes on and on. Not having the proper water intake can cause a lot of problems to your body and ultimately to your overall health.
Tips for consuming more water:
• Always carry a reusable bottle of water with you.
• Be creative with your water, add in flavors.
• Use an app to help track your water intake.
• Have a glass of water with each meal.
• Use a straw, it makes sipping water easier!
• Replace your fizzy drinks with a glass of water.
• Set up a friendly water consumption competition with your friends.
Tasty add-ins for your daily water:
• Lemon slices
• Lime slices
• Cucumber slices
• Berries: strawberries (sliced), raspberries or blueberries
• Sliced peaches
• Pineapple chunks
• Apple slices with cinnamon sticks
• Mint leaves
• Basil leaves
• Fresh ginger
As you can see water is very important and a vital part to living a healthy life. While it may be easy to overlook your water intake, once you realize you need to increase your daily water, the process is simple.