Make Each Beat Count During Heart Health Month
This month, there is good news surrounding heart health. YOU can do something about it. Heart disease can often be prevented with some simple changes to your diet and exercise routine. You can work to make healthy choices in your life and to manage any existing health conditions. National Heart Health Month is a great time to take a good look at your heart health and see what you can do to improve it.
The Center for Disease control suggests that when you make small changes in your life, that can greatly reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
What to do…
• Doctor, Doctor! Simply scheduling a visit with your doctor to talk about heart health can make a difference. Do not be afraid to ask questions! Knowledge is key!
• Get that heart pumping! Just by adding 30 minutes of physical exercise, three times a week, can positively affect your heart health! Watching your weight is important to heart health.
• Plan your menu! What you put into your mouth makes a difference. Plan your menu to include healthy eating selections. Use fresh ingredients, including spices.
• Catch some ZZZs! The heart is said to be significantly impacted by the sleep you get.
What to avoid…
• Smokes and Drinks! If you are a smoker, it is time to quit. If you are frequently around secondhand smoke, you should steer clear from that. Are you a drinker? If you drink alcohol, you should do so only in moderation.
• Don’t supersize that! Watch your portions; be sure you are eating the correct portion size of your food!
• Watch the fats! There are good fats and there are not so good fats. Avoid overdoing it with saturated and trans fats.
• Be mindful of the grains! If you can eat gluten, you should limit the amounts of white refined flour and white bread that you consume.
What can you do to help with awareness?
• Wear red during the month of February to help raise awareness about heart health.
• If you are a parent, share with your children what you have learned about a Healthy Heart.
• Share heart health facts on social media: twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Practice the above simple steps to help love your heart even more, all year round!